Are you travelling the web looking for a new relationship, romance or your perfect match? You are not alone, and your soon-to-be partner is out there right now, looking for you. Successful online dating is about putting your best self forward as well as knowing how to navigate the online dating circuit. If you want to be successful in the romantic area of the World Wide Web, I have a few tips to guide you on the path:
- Members Only: Too many people hesitate about joining an online dating website for fear of exposing their profile to co-workers, employers or others they would prefer not have involved in their love life. Many online sites have public profiles, which indeed exposes your privacy. However, you can protect your privacy by becoming a member, and setting your privacy ratings as “members only”. This means the only people viewing your profile are other singles, just like you.
- Build an Honest Profile: If you are a self-employed mechanic, promoting yourself as Director and CEO of the company, while technically true, is still misleading. You want to attract a person who will appreciate and respect who you are as an individual. No relationship is ever successful if it starts with a lie. Be honest about your age, social habits and preferences.
- Smile for the Camera: A picture is a great complement to your profile, and studies show that a picture will attract more attention. However, put a little thought into it. Posting a current photo of what you look like now is important (see number two). It’s equally important that your picture include a little personality. Staring into the camera like a death row inmate won’t be the most persuasive message you could send, but neither is a boudoir photo. Instead, try phoning a friend who always makes you laugh before you click the shutter. Putting yourself in a good mood for your profile picture will make your personality shine. Practice using the timer on your camera and snap away until the true you comes through.
- What Makes You Laugh? I’ve never met anybody who does not have a sense of humour. However, different things are amusing to different people. When building your profile be as specific as possible, and try to add a little flair. “I love old movies.” Does that mean silent film festivals, Judy Garland musicals or Lethal Weapon? “John Wayne is my hero,” says it better. Your profile is your introduction to others; make sure it is you being introduced.
- Respond! Respond! Respond! Romance is out there waiting for you. You’re perfect match might not be a complete surprise to you. Don’t snub other members who want to chat with you because you think their profile doesn’t suit your needs. Respond to everyone who shows an interest. Remember, you are reading this guide to help you with online dating success. Just because you mastered the art of an online profile, doesn’t mean everyone has. Besides, people who show an interest in you are attracted for a reason. You owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is.
Finding your soul mate through online dating is easier than you think. Building an engaging profile is the secret to success for relationships, romance and your perfect match.